Monday, November 29, 2010

Field Trip


Yves Klein, Untitled Fire-Color Painting, 1961
For Life Drawing one of the places that we went to was the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis. One of the exhibits that that was interesting was Yves Kleins work. To me it was exciting to see certain pieces of his. For example the Suaire de Mondo Cane (Mondo Cane Shroud), where blue female body prints were pressed on to gauze. This was one of the pieces that I had studied in sculpture. Being able to see what you have studied in person makes it more real in a sense then seeing a print or image of the actual piece. While in sculpture, Yves Klein was one of the artists that I liked. He was able to capture some of the movement in the bodies by just the imprint. His work reminds me of when kids make hand print. Each is the same but still has an individual quality.  His body pieces are relevant to life drawing in the way that it’s done with bodies but it also creates a sense of life in the piece itself. With our drawing we try to understand how to draw and also give it some life in the way the model moves and poses. 

   
Yves Klien, Suaire de Mondo Cane (Mondo Cane Shroud), 1961
 
We also went to the Bell Museum of Natural History. They had many taxidermy animals where they were displayed in their habitats. The main reason for going to this museum was to draw from the exhibits. We could either draw from the taxidermy animals or from the bones that were also on displayed. I had picked a deer vertebrae to draw. I thought it would be interesting and would help me with my shell drawings. It was harder then I thought it would be with the complexity of the shape. They had many interesting things that could help our life drawing work.

Deer Vertebrae

No comments:

Post a Comment