Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hands and Skulls


Hands were always difficult for me to get right. When I have done it before in previous classes where we drew from our own hands it was hard to get the proportions correct. Part of the reason might be that I have long figures and were easy to get them to look disproportional. It wasn’t just me who had trouble drawing my hands, my partner seem to struggle a little getting the proportions right but did a great jobs despite my long fingers. When it was my turn to drawn her hands I tried to create the planes of them and go from there. I was able to block them in all right but still had some trouble getting the different sections right. The first drawing I did was hard to get right I was trying to do both the planes and what I saw at once and it just seemed to get a little muddled. The second one I did better, I was able to focus on the planes and try to get them in the right place and then added the contour lines and other lines and shapes.

Skull 1

Skull 2

The skull is the other part of the body we focused on during class this week. They were easier than then I thought they were going to be. They were fun to do because I never though of how the skull is laid out with planes and the face only make up one third of the skull. I especially like drawing the side of the jaw where it met up with the top part of the skull. In my drawings, I like to measure and pick a point and draw from there to get the angles and lines correct.  I liked drawing that part of the skull because I could use the bottom corner, as a point to get other parts correct. The first perspective view drawing of the skull I made it have a gorilla jaw. In the picture you can kind of see where I had draw in the jaw and was erased. The drawing over it was Amy’s; she was able to help me figure out what I was doing wrong. The second one was more of a profile view, I think I got the most of it in the correct position but the jaw might be longer then it should be.

4 comments:

  1. Your skull 1 looks fairly nice. It is starting to look like a gorilla. I think that the second one does a better job of getting the proportions. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second skull has a better sense of dimension as well with the cross contour lines moving in and out of the hollow areas of the bone structure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For our first attempts at skulls, I think these are pretty good. The 3/4 view was the most challenging for me, it's hard not to gorilla-ize them, I think the general form is still recognizable and you definitely improved on the second skull, plus profiles are easier to map everything out, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the second skull, it looks really nice. I love how crisp the lines are and the confidence in them. The line variation is very well done.

    ReplyDelete